INSTALL file

Steve Butler kg7je at comcast.net
Sun Nov 23 17:20:06 PST 2014

On 11/22/2014 11:46 PM, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Steve Butler <kg7je at comcast.net
> <mailto:kg7je at comcast.net>> wrote:
>

>     On 11/17/2014 01:56 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
>
>         On 17 November 2014 23:53, Lubomir I. Ivanov
>         <neolit123 at gmail.com <mailto:neolit123 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             On 17 November 2014 23:49, Steve Butler <kg7je at comcast.net
>             <mailto:kg7je at comcast.net>> wrote:
>
>                 Looks like I need to find a non-Canonical source to
>                 update.  Is there
>                 another PPA to which I can point for a later version?
>
>             that should be it:
>             https://marble.kde.org/sources.php
>
>             but perhaps it would be best to remove all marble related
>             packages first.
>
>         not the exact answer to the question, i admit. perhaps there are
>         alternative and compatible PPA, if not, you may have to built
>         from the
>         sources which is a bit of task.
>

>     Built from source.  Now need the qmake command to include Marble
>     again.  I thought a simple 'qmake' might do that. But it is still
>     disabled at build time.
>

> I wonder if you are missing libmarble-dev. If everything is available,
> qmake should pick up Marble. Just to make sure, the Ubuntu packages I
> have uploaded to our PPA (subusrface-beta has the 4.2.90 beta release
> along with latest master of libdivecomputer) have the following
> dependencies:

It is present but Lubomir thinks it was compiled with an older version
of qt than I'm using.  I was getting:
.obj/moc_globe.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8GlobeGPS[_ZTV8GlobeGPS]+0x60):
undefined reference to `Marble::MarbleWidget::connectNotify(QMetaMethod
const&)'
.obj/moc_globe.o:(.data.rel.ro._ZTV8GlobeGPS[_ZTV8GlobeGPS]+0x68):
undefined reference to
`Marble::MarbleWidget::disconnectNotify(QMetaMethod const&)'

Lubomir had me turn off Marble with:
> qmake "DEFINES += NO_MARBLE"
> make clean
> make

I pulled down latest Marble (or thought I did) and compiled on my box.
Need to go buy "Qmake for Dummies" so I can reverse the above and see if
what I did "fixed" my problem.

>  libqt4-dev, qt4-qmake, libxml2-dev, libxslt1-dev, zlib1g-dev,
> libusb-1.0-0-dev, libzip-dev, libmarble-dev, libsqlite3-dev,
> libqtwebkit-dev, pkg-config, libgit2-dev, asciidoc
>
> If you have them all installed, then you should have quite complete
> build of Subsurface, including Marble. The INSTALL document seems to
> suggest that you compile inside the source tree..this is not ideal -
> better to compile in a sub directory, so it is easy to delete the
> whole compile if needed. (e.g. qmake-qt4 ~/source/subsurface). Anyway,
> if you disabled Marble with the qmake, just try to build in a fresh
> build directory and see if that helps (I am sure there is a way to
> tell qmake to re-includ marble, but I have no idea how, I just scrap
> the build dir if it is messed up and create a new one)

Tips like this will help me.  As I told Dirk, my background is COBOL
followed by a stint as an Oracle DBA (then middle management.

So, if I understand you correctly, in my structure of:
~/Projects/LibDiveComputer
~/Projects/Marble
~/Projects/Subsurface
etc

I should build a new one of ~/Projects/Subsurface/mybuild and run issue
the commands from there?  BTW, can't find qmake-qt4 on mu Ubuntu 14.10 box.

--Steve