Temps from Suunto Cobra

Steve Butler kg7je at comcast.net
Mon Nov 24 15:08:34 PST 2014

On 11/24/2014 02:04 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2014 1:24 PM, "Steve Butler" <kg7je at comcast.net
> <mailto:kg7je at comcast.net>> wrote:
> >
> > Surface air or surface water?
>
> Usually surface air, mostly because the temperature sensor is really
> really slow to register.
>
> So the first sample - if it has a temperature at all, of course - is
> usually ambient temperature of the dive computer before the dive
> started. Now, is it "air"? If you keep your dive computer in a camera
> easter bucket like some people, obviously not. And if you are on the
> surface for a long enough time, then the slow temperature sensor will
> basically give you surface water temperature.
>
> But normally? Air temperature is likely the closest description.
> Certainly not guaranteed, but then, it would usually be even worse to
> call it water temperature..
>
>      Linus

It has always bothered me that that my Cobra reports several degrees (as
much as 20) below the air and also several degrees above the water.
Would be nice if the DC would grab the temp when first turned on and
checking the tank pressure.  But, that's something we don't have control
over.  I'll have to live with this as is.    At least DM3 didn't try to
call it one or the other (just 'Start of dive', 'Max Depth', 'End of
Dive').  Let the user determine whether it's air (like to see that at
max depth!) or water.