DLD Changes

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Sun Oct 12 12:47:20 PDT 2014

On 12 Oct 2014, at 21:17, Rainer Mohr <mail at divelogs.de> wrote:

Rainer,

> I have implemented this on the export page to try it out. https://en.divelogs.de/DLDexport.php?alldata=true (if signed in) will give you an "extended" DLD containing your certifications, documents, Pictures, video-urls, etc. The XML files point to the files included in the zip, so it should be parseable. My main concern is the size and the performance. I just exported mine and it results in a 480MB DLD-file containing over 2000 pictures.... That not only takes a while to put together, but also consumes a lot of ressources. I have no problem to build it in to the API, as most logs don't contain that much data, but it might be a bit slowish for those who put everything they see on their SD card (like me :) ), so timeouts could occur.

the image data design of subsurface is by far not final and indeed we currently access images by their local filename. The problems with that are obvious and as soon as you want to take your log to a different computer you are in trouble. OTOH you don’t want to download some hundreds of pictures from a web server every time you scroll through you dive log, so at least some cache has to be local. We still have to figure out how to do this right.

But for the time being, why do you include the actual image in your download api and not just a URL? You are running a web service that actually hosts those pictures. So downloading would be much faster and if some downloader would really want the image file it could still GET them from the URL without any hassle. What do you think?

Best
Robert