Use of o2 cell data in CCR dive logs

Paul Sargent paul.lionseye at icloud.com
Mon Oct 13 05:22:08 PDT 2014

Hi Willem,

On Oct 13, 2014, at 11:37 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:

> Hope you do not mind me changing the topic title.

No problem.
> Thank you very much for your response. The philosophy here is to get the
> system working for a fully logged CCR system and then to expand this
> foundation to others.

I think you and I disagree on what makes a foundation good to build on. My concern is the code that you're writing looks like it's very specifc to one or two CCRs, and adding further ones in the future will be more difficult because of this. Looking at the patch you've generated so far I could see it growing into a huge amount of code with lots of code paths specific to particular CCRs, all deep in the decompression calculations.That seems like it could grow into a maintainance problem.

> One of the important things a CCR diver wants to know is to assess the
> accuracy of the oxygen management system.

As a fellow CCR diver I don't have it that at the top of my priority list, but that might be just me.

Regardless, I addressed that. I wasn't saying to throw that data away. Just that it would only be used for reference and fault finding (as you describe) once the dive has been initially imported.

Of course, code talks, and you're the one writing the code, but I'm interested in helping where / when I can.

Paul