Subsurface UI for CCR dives

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Tue Oct 14 00:35:48 PDT 2014

The code for implementing CCR dives has mostly been completed, barring a
few small issues. I think it is time that we start considering what the
UI should look like for CCR dives.

My proposal is that not much changes. As is, the gas pressure graphs
adequately show gas partial pressures during the dive. and the placing
of the gas pressure graphs is efficient.

Oxygen analysis:
I propose that we add another button to the profile tool bar, perhaps
something like the attached icon "o2icon.jpg", indicating "Oxygen
Analysis". When this button is activated, the normal gas partial
pressures are replaced with graphs for the setpoint as well as for the
po2 as measured by each of the sensors. In the case of the Poseidon
data, there should be three lines in the graph: setpoint (maybe in black
or in red) and the partial pressures as seen by each of the two o2
sensors. Ideally, the graphs for the o2 sensors should not have the same
colour. This is because if one particular sensor tends to give a high
reading or a low reading or a variable reading, one would like to know
which of the sensors it is. I have made a mockup, attached as
OxygenAnalysis.jpg, serving as a proposal for a situation for which the
o2 sensors show no abnormality. The setpoint graph is likely to be more
angular than on the figure. Careful attention needs to be given to the
colours of the lines. The black line on the mockup does not contrast
particularly well with the other two lines and red might have been better.
Sensor data are found in array plot_data.o2sensor[3] defined in profile.h.
Setpoint data are found in plot_data.o2setpoint.
To detect  a CCR dive, check whether divecomputer.dctype has an enum
vaue of CCR.
The number of o2 sensors in the system is found in
divecomputer.no_o2sensors. There is provision for up to 3 oxygen sensors.

Cylinder gas pressures:
The Poseidon is possibly the only CCR system with gas integration on
both cylinders but the demand for gas integration is growing (e.g. for
the Shearwater Nerd which is basically a modified Petrel). With CCR
dives, cylinder 0 is assumed to be the oxygen cylinder and cylinder 1 is
assumed to hold the diluent gas. If baleout takes place, it would be to
cylinder 2. The oxygen pressures (mbar) are found in
plot_data.pressure[2], defined in profile.h. pressure[0] has the raw
sensor pressure data while pressure[1] contains the interpolated values
between measured data points. Similarly, the pressure of the diluent gas
is held in plot_data.diluentpressure[2] (raw measurements in
diluentpressure[0] and interpolations in diluentpressure[1]. Two lines,
indicating the pressures in the two cylinders need to be draw, as
opposed to the single line that has been the case to date.

Robert Helling's decompression analysis graph:
In my opinion, the present setup does not at all do justice to what
Robert has created. It sits squashed below the gas pressure graphs,
superimposed on the x-axis, obscuring time information on that axis.
There must be a better way. If, with CCR dives, there are two
alternative displays of gas pressure (calculated partial pressures and
oxygen analysis), toggled by a button in the toolbar, would it not be
feasible to use the same principle to display Robert's deco analysis?
There already is a toolbar button for Robert's deco analysis. An
alternative display, activated by the existing tool bar button, would
remove the gas pressure data and show the tissue pressures and the
M-value line.

These are my ideas. Do you think this is sensible? Any other ideas,
suggestions or proposals that are implementable with the existing
Subsurface dive information? CCR divers, please respond!
Kind regards,
willem