Google Summer of Code 2015

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 14 01:26:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 03:40:44PM +0200, Peter Bozsó wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> My name is Peter Bozsó, I already participated in two GSoC-s (at ScummVM),
> and I know it's "a bit" early, but looking trough this year's list of
> accepted organizations I found Subsurface and got really interested about
> it.
> I'd like to ask you if Subsurface (as a mentoring organization) is planning
> to participate in the upcoming GSoC 2015? I saw you already have an Android
> app, and last year a student implemented an iOS app, and since I am really
> into Windows Phone development the idea immediately occurred to me: I'd
> really like to implement a WP 8.1 companion app for Subsurface.
> Please tell me if it's a valuable idea for you guys, what are your opinions
> about it, and if you are willing to participate in GSoC again at all!

I think this is a great idea.
I'm planning to apply to GSOC2015 as mentor organization.

One comment, though. If you are interested in this and have the skills,
why not implement it now? It makes you less credible as "open source
contributor" if you come to us now and wait to work on Subsurface until
there is the opportunity to earn money doing so. Please don't take this
the wrong way - as discussed on IRC... no one here has any free time...

You'd be a much stronger candidate next year if you started contributing
now. And I'm sure there'll be many other things you could contribute by
then.