HiDPI support

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.org
Tue Oct 14 03:52:52 PDT 2014

On Tuesday 14 October 2014 10:32:33 Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> * the UI is largely designed through .ui files, which means hard-coded
> sizes all around; there's no trivial way that I know of to obviate
> this issue, so a conversion to a different approach would be needed;
> we have essentially two options::
>
> a) convert everything to C++ and ork with that;
> b) keep a more dynamic-ish approach and switch from .ui files to QML files.

Hi Giuseppe

That's a good project, thanks for getting started.

On the subject of the UIs in .ui files, I would hope that they scale
automatically for HiDPI screens. All the dialogs and windows should be using
layouts, which will automatically increase in size due to the increased size
constraints of the text and images. The only two things that come to mind that
will not automatically scale are:

1) the total size of the dialogs and windows (they will only grow to the
minimum size, which may look ugly)

2) the graph widget and the table column widths

The graph widget should be modified to realise it's in HiDPI and draw things
twice as big; the column widths should be modified to have a width proportional
to the font size (i.e., measured in ems instead of pixels).

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358