dialout group

Salvo Tomaselli tiposchi at tiscali.it
Sat Oct 18 08:56:50 PDT 2014

Hello,

I was showing to my brother in law (who uses ubuntu) how to use subsurface.
And the device (ttyUSB0) created for his suunto vyper has permissions

660 root dialout

And naturally, subsurface was failing to work because his user didn't belong
to the dialout group.

I think that:

A: subsurface should detect the situation and provide meaningful error, able
to help users to fix the problem.
B: The user should have access to the device, but I am not sure how this
should work. I imagine subsurface might come with some udev rules. I am not
very familiar with udev.

I don't know if a similar situation can also happen on other platforms, but I
would imagine it is entirely possible.

What are your thoughts on fixing this?

Best
--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

                http://ltworf.github.io/ltworf/