Qt question

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 22 07:51:44 PDT 2014

So in order to allow people to add simple dives more quickly (without
having to use the graphical profile editor, if they prefer) I was
considering what seems like a small change to the UI, but I have no idea
how to do that.

The idea would be to have another input field on the MainTab (I was
thinking to the right of the "location" input field) and have that be the
field for the max depth of the dive. The logic would work something like
this:
- the field is only shown when we are in ADD DIVE mode or are editing a
  manually edited dive
- the field will also be disabled if the profile has been changed to have
  more points, more 'levels', etc (i.e., if it isn't the standard "drop to
  depth, stay there for a while, ascend to safety stop, ascend to surface"
  style)
- if the user changes the value in this field the profile of course gets
  updated

So all this seems to make sense to me (yell if you disagree). But what I
have no idea how to do is how to conditionally add / hide that additional
label and additional input field in the grid layout. The layout is created
from the .ui file. Location right now spans three columns. How can I
change this at run time to span two columns and add those fields?