Translation question

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Oct 28 14:02:33 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 04:41:59PM -0400, John Van Ostrand wrote:
> I've modified a string that are being translated, specifically the string
> below that contains file extensions as well as labels:
>
>     QStringList fileNames = QFileDialog::getOpenFileNames(this, tr("Open
> dive log file"), lastUsedDir(),
>         tr("Dive log files (*.xml *.uddf *.udcf *.csv *.jlb *.dld *.sde
> *.db *.can);;"
>             "XML files (*.xml);;UDDF/UDCF files(*.uddf *.udcf);;JDiveLog
> files(*.jlb);;"
>             "Suunto Files(*.sde *.db);;CSV Files(*.csv);;MkVI
> Files(*.txt);;All Files(*)"));
>
> Do I need to modify all the /translations/*.ts files or will it be handled
> by some other process?

This will be handled by the translators (using the transifex web site).

> Also, should this be changed since file extensions are not usually
> translated. Maybe a sprintf to build a string using translations of labels
> only?

What gets translated are the texts in the middle. And you don't know if
all languages have the same order, so is it "XML files" or "whatever XML"?

So manually assembling this will increase the likelihood of issues with
the translations.