New trial at EON Steel support - with DC_FIELD_STRING

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Wed Oct 29 09:20:57 PDT 2014

Ok, this is a re-done set of patches that uses DC_FIELD_STRING instead
of DC_FIELD_DEVINFO.

I've also changed "eon_steel" to "eonsteel" throughout (unless I
missed something) as per Jef.

Also, to show how DC_FIELD_STRING allows other things, I added "Deco
algorithm", "Battery before dive" and "Battery after dive" parsing to
the EON Steel backend, although right now my subsurface patch just
simply ignores that extra data. We'll need a way to show it, or at
least save/restore it sanely, so that will take a bit of effort. But
it's there, and it works (tested by printing the values out to stderr
- that "debugging" is not in this series of patches, though).

Anyway, I think Dirk was right, the DC_FIELD_STRING model is nicer
than showing it as samples, although it did make the subsurface
interface a bit different: since we don't get all the version and dive
ID data together as one "devinfo", we actually need to save them off
individually and then at the end add it to our dive computer database.
But that's probably a good idea anyway, since we very likely *should*
save at least fw version per-dive rather than per divecomputer (since
the same dive computer can have multiple firmware versions over time).

Whatever. The subsurface patch is still pretty small and
straightforward, although to save/show generic strings will definitely
take more effort. But battery information is apparently something
people have been asking for, so I think it's all good.

I could have done inter-diffs from the previous version, but with the
big renames of "eon_steel" to "eonsteel", that diff wouldn't really
have been very useful anyway, and it's not like the previous version
was applied, so this is an all-new series. Three patches for
libdivecomputer, and one patch for subsurface.

                  Linus