File::encodeName() and Utf8 as the default encoding under Qt5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 29 09:27:52 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 06:18:14PM +0200, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 29 October 2014 18:02, Thiago Macieira <thiago at macieira.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 October 2014 17:32:58 Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> >> now, i know how to fix the issue by simply not use File::encodeName()
> >> at all on Win32 and use QString::toUtf8() instead but is there a
> >> cleaner way with no #ifdefs?
> >>
> >> not sure if QTextCodec::setCodecForLocale() should be set to Utf8 on
> >> Win32...
> >
> > Hmm... I'm not sure what will happen if you setCodecForLocale on Windows, I've
> > never tried.
> >

> just tried setting it to UTF-8 and the filenames work again
> (QFile::encodeName()).
> but i really have no idea of the more global consequences of this. if
> it breaks other important areas perhaps the attached patch should not
> be applied.

Well, you and Thiago are the experts I look at when it comes to these
things... what do we have to test to make sure this doesn't break things?

We have a ton of Windows users on this mailing list, so as long as we know
what to test this should be easy, I can make a new test binary in a
heartbeat... :-)