New trial at EON Steel support - with DC_FIELD_STRING

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 29 09:50:42 PDT 2014

Hey Linus,

I like where this is going. Sadly I don't have my EON Steel, yet, so I
can't really test it.

One small comment, you forgot to add the fix for the broken headers on
some Windows builds. We need something like this:

#ifdef HAVE_LIBUSB

#ifdef _WIN32
#define NOGDI
#endif

#include <libusb-1.0/libusb.h>

With that applied (and a reasonably recent libusb - you're using a couple
of interfaces that are somewhat new, they were added early last year and
on one of my cross build setup I still had an older one...) it cross
builds fine for Windows for me.

There are a few warnings about pointers targets differing in signedness
(you pass char * to a send_receive which expects const unsigned char *,
and then the other way around with alloc_dirent(); finally strcpy doesn't
like unsigned char *, either). But in all these cases a quick glance at
the function shows that these are not a problem.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 09:20:57AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Also, to show how DC_FIELD_STRING allows other things, I added "Deco
> algorithm", "Battery before dive" and "Battery after dive" parsing to
> the EON Steel backend, although right now my subsurface patch just
> simply ignores that extra data. We'll need a way to show it, or at
> least save/restore it sanely, so that will take a bit of effort.

Neat. I'll implement a simplistic way to show these soon. I'll wait for
Jef's feedback on the DC_FIELD_STRING ;-)

> Whatever. The subsurface patch is still pretty small and
> straightforward, although to save/show generic strings will definitely
> take more effort. But battery information is apparently something
> people have been asking for, so I think it's all good.

Yes, this is awesome.

> I could have done inter-diffs from the previous version, but with the
> big renames of "eon_steel" to "eonsteel", that diff wouldn't really
> have been very useful anyway, and it's not like the previous version
> was applied, so this is an all-new series. Three patches for
> libdivecomputer, and one patch for subsurface.

Not speaking for Jef, I prefer new patches in situations like this. No
point to add the previous version to the git history.