help understanding a Windows crash report

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Oct 29 15:07:35 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:07:27PM +0200, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 29 October 2014 22:52, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> >> Dirk,
> >>
> >> Can you build the app in debug mode?
> >> Qt libraries have them build in debug mode to help that kind of stuff.
> >
> > I remember this rat hole. My Qt libraries come from Fedora (cross built
> > for Win64). A debug build of Marble alone is several hundred megabytes and
> > takes roughly "forever"... and I have yet to be able to build a single
> > installer that actually works as debug build.
> > Literally. That's why I gave up trying to get Qt5 work in 32bit.
> >
> > Sooooooo frustrating.
> >

> send me a link to the installer and i can take a look.
> normally the procedure is to generate a crash dump (.DMP) - e.g. on
> Windows 7, while the crash dialog is visible hit CTRL + SHIFT + ESC
> (open TaskManager), find the app.exe in the list, right click, Save
> Crash Dump... then open the dump in WinDBG, write "!analyze -v" - but
> it needs .PDBs (MSVC debug symbols) to be useful, etc...
>
> without debug symbols one has to disassemble more or less.

I have no debug symbols. Thiago is looking into this and he came to the
conclusion that this might be a Qt 5.3.2 bug. The previous Fedora version
was 5.3.1 - but I can't get those RPMs anymore.

For now I extracted the 5.3.1 dlls from an older working daily build and
am simply replacing the files in the installer with those - and have a
working installer again.

Please test
http://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/daily/subsurface-4.2-349-g2b8043b82b99.exe
if you have a chance to make sure that it's not just my system where this
works again...

This one also implements the long missing "don't install 64bit binaries on
a 32bit system" feature...