totally off topic [was: Re: messing with the gas / tank handling]

John Van Ostrand john at vanostrand.com
Thu Oct 30 08:22:45 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 07:45:47AM -0700, Steve Butler wrote:
> > G>  Once my EON Steel arrives we'll need to drive up to Hoodsport and do
> > some data collection... :-)?
> >
> > As in Hood Canal, WA?  Somehow I thought you were located in Europe.
> Guess
> > I need to be more curious in the future!
>
> Hehe. Linus, Thiago and I all three live in Portland, OR. But we're
> originally from Finland, Brazil, and Germany, respectively.
>
> I did almost all my dive training in Hoodsport, WA and occasionally
> pretend to work there as a dive master or tec dive master. And as much as
> I enjoy warm water diving, there is no warm water anywhere in driving
> distance, so if I need to collect data, I drive up to Hoodsport -
> especially for things like multi-cylinder diving or deco diving.
>
> But since we are entirely off topic already... John Hawley, a coworker of
> mine at Intel, is currently building the "Auto Diver". A contraption that
> will allow us to automatically lower and raise a dive computer into a
> pool... which makes it possible to add a lot of really boring dives to a
> dive computer (for cases where we are concerned with things that happen
> once there are tons of dives on a DC, e.g. for the EON Steel where we
> don't know what will happen to its directory entries).

Some of the tests I want to see on a dive computer involve volume of data
and also depths. For volume I need to exceed the enormous limits of Cochran
computers, like 1450 hours of sample data and 1024 logged dives. For depth
I need to exceed 256 ft to verify how the data is encoded. I'm neither
trained nor comfortable doing a dive like that.

The LDS had cut the bottom 12" off an old AL80 and had a machine shop
modify it to be a pressure chamber, add water and it's a dive simulator.
It's manual, in that the user presses a valve to add compressed air and
turns a bleed screw to release. Unfortunately it maxed out at 150ft and far
too manual to do 1000 dives. However add some solenoids and maybe it could
be automated.

> > --Steve (Enumclaw, WA -- OC mostly at Redondo)
>
> So you're 60 miles closer to Hoodsport than we are :-)
>
> > PS  Looks like I'll need to pick up a modern language like C to add to my
> > ancient language list (COBOL, Fortran, PL/SQL, etc).  Become more useful
> > here.
>
> Yes, please. Especially, please pick up C++ and focus on Qt development.
> That's the number 1 area where we need more active contributors :-)
>
> After your tenth UI related patch I'll invite you to a dive weekend at the
> Yellow House (only partly kidding).
>
> /D

John Van Ostrand
At large on sabbatical