Setting location coordinates while editing a dive

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Oct 31 07:41:13 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 02:51:39PM +0100, Davide DB wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 9:22 PM, John Van Ostrand <john at vanostrand.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So, do we track that in the edit session and update it on a name change or
> > revert it on cancel?
> >
> > Or do we inform the user, on a double click, that they need to save first?
>
> Good question.
> Actually I always found the editing/saving process very inconsistent.
> Why I get "dive is being edited" alert just on the "dive notes" tab but I
> can change tanks, I can add events on the profile without any alert?

Just to be precise, you cannot modify equipment without triggering the
"edit mode". But you can add a gas change.

Yes, our handling of edits is extremely inconsistent. It has bugged me for
a long time.

I absolutely want a way to say "never mind" when editing things. I usually
need that in the context of edits to the info page, so that's where it got
implemented. But then there are several other ways to edit things where we
don't have that.

People have suggested an undo/redo feature but that would be an even more
complex layer to add.

Today you can make changes in these places (I hope I didn't forget any)

1) Dive notes tab (date, time, location, divemaster, buddy, tags, notes)
  (and once you entered edit mode, on a manually added dive, you can
  change the profile in the profile, but you can only start this process
  if you actually change some other field first - that's completely
  broken)
  Equipment tab (tanks and weights).

The moment you edit things in Dive notes or Equipment tab, this triggers
"edit mode" and the "save / discard" functionality.

2) Right click on the profile (changing/adding/removing events, gas
  changes, order of dive computers, delete dive computer

All of these take immediate effect

3) Double click on the globe window

Also takes immediate effect

4) Dive list (mostly changes to trip status, but also delete dives or shift
  their times)

All of these take immediate effect

I think it would be fairly simple to switch to edit mode when making
changes in the second and third case above. Not sure this can be
reasonably done in the last one. Or we could do what other software does
and not have this edit mode. So basically the moment you tab away from a
field that edit is permanent. Only if you use ESC is an edit reverted.

I'll admit that I'd hate that, so I'd be more inclined to got with adding
edit mode to 2) and 3) above.

Comments? Preferences?