About multi filtering.

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Oct 31 14:13:07 PDT 2014

Hey Tomaz

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 06:00:07PM -0200, Tomaz Canabrava wrote:

> I'v just send a patch bomb ( ~30 ) that implements correctly multi
> filtering for subsurface. I'v tested them and it seems to work without
> issues. but not all filter possibilities are created:

Amazing work. I had to do a couple minor adjustments while applying, but
so far it all looks good.

I haven't done a full code review, that's still in the works.

> what works:
>
> divemaster and buddy,
> location,
> tags.

Yes - and it's awesome, exactly what I was hoping for.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

> to add a new filter the simplest way is to follow the last 10 patches of my
> builk that are a step - by - step guide on how the system works.
>
> I know that there's a bit of boilerplate, this is because of the way how Qt
> model system works. I can remove a bit of it but it won't a good gain, so
> I'm leaving them there.
>
> What's missing:
>
> - Suits
> - Visibility
> - Rating
> ( anything more? )

I don't know if filtering by viz and rating makes sense. I know I through
it out there, but I'm more concerned that it will make the UI too
cluttered.

Speaking of which: this is my only concern. The placement of the filter
area. I think I'd prefer if it replaced the MainTab and Profile. And had a
simple way to just hide it / show it again. This way I can see more of the
dive list while applying filters.

The idea would be that the filters are visible (plus the dive list) while
I'm figuring out which filters I wanted. Then I hide the filters and work
with the filtered dives.

Maybe the logic could be this... if ANY filter is active, the filter turns
into am area of a single line height (20px or whatever - make it relative
to font size) that says "Show filter". That's between the MainTab and the
dive list. You click on this, the maintab and profile are replaced with
the filter UI, but at the bottom is still the same area, this time with
"Hide filter". And additionally there is "Clear and close filter" which
clears all the filters and makes that part of the UI go away. Ctrl-F
brings it back.

Does that explanation make any sense? If I had any talent at all I could
draw it

:-)