Dive Computer Ramblings

Martin Gysel me at bearsh.org
Wed Sep 10 06:42:33 PDT 2014

Am 10.09.2014 09:27, schrieb Robert Helling:
> On 10.09.2014, at 05:56, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org
> <mailto:dirk at hohndel.org>> wrote:
>

>> Linus started this on Google Plus, but that seemed a rather odd and
>> transient place for it.
>>
>> So I started a new topic on the website. To keep things organized this
>> is now under “Misc" together with the “Thanks” page (sorry Linus, the
>> URLs have changed slightly).
>>
>> Linus and I each have posted a page with our thoughts about the dive
>> computers we have used. I’ll invite others here to share their own
>> stories.
>>
>> http://subsurface.hohndel.org/misc/dive-computer-ramblings/
>
> Nice one. Reading Linus’ opinion and in particular the „why air
> Integration?“ part let me have an idea what would be nice to have
> (build?): As Linus writes, during the five the air Integration is of
> little use, but the information is interesting afterwards. Plus the main
> problem with the implementation of air Integration is that wireless data
> connections in the water are hard to get right and doing it old style
> with hoses does not work well with wrist mount computers. And things
> start to get complicated as soon as you have multiple cylinders.
>
> So let’s combine that information: It seems to me what you want is not
> an air integrated computer but in fact a data logger that is in a small
> box that sits on the first stage of your regulator like the transmitters
> do. Just have a pressure sensor and a real time clock and write that off
> to flash memory and make that accessible via USB. The electronics with
> some micro controller shouldn’t be too hard to build, but it would be
> beyond my capabilities to put that in a water tight box and make it not
> explode when connected to a 300bar cylinder. But I guess it should be
> possible to even build a prototype for less than 100 currency units roughly.
>
> What do you think? Anybody here with experience in the
> watertight/pressure area?

the company I work for has that experience (electronics, watertight and
pressure related stuff) but I personally doubt there's much demand for
such a device in the diving community. most people I can think of care
for the tank pressure during the dive not afterwards.
but we would be happy to develop such a device if someone is willing to
pay for it :) of course, as Davide mentioned, kickstarter would be an
option... need to think about it.

/martin