Dive Computer Ramblings

Robert C. Helling helling at atdotde.de
Wed Sep 10 09:09:36 PDT 2014

On 10 Sep 2014, at 17:42, Linus Torvalds <torvalds at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

Linus,

all your points are of course very valid.

> And the
> air-integrated computer is, I think, a much larger market. You can
> sell air integration to "normal divers", and in fact that is currently
> the main market, because so many serious divers scoff at it (for all
> the wrong reasons, imho). The existing scuba market is pretty clear
> about that market existing and being sustainable. In contrast, a very
> specialized logger? It doesn't have the same kind of wide market
> appeal.

I was (once more) not thinking so much about the general diver but more in the high end technical diving segment, people who would buy an OSTC or a Petrell or even (for philosophical reasons) only use a bottom timer (which can cost up to 280 Euros as the xD Black demonstrates). My impression is that that type of diver would not want to trust a wireless connection and never ever consider running an extra hose down their arm.

Those people would be diving twinsets or at least two independent first stages so HD port scarcity is not so much of an issue and they would still use their analogue pressure gauge as they always had. Stage cylinder regulators might be a different issue though.

So I totally agree that would never be a mass market product but a niche at best.

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
print "Just another   Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
    stupid .sig\n";   http://www.atdotde.de