git storage format

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 10 10:03:40 PDT 2014

Hey Linus,

I've been playing around a bit with our git storage format (I have way too
many things I want to do these days... one of them is figuring out the
remote server storage with git) and noticed something I find mildly
annoying.

If we have one dive computer, we store it as

Year/Month/Trip/Timestamp/Divecomputer

Yet if we add a second dive computer that first one becomes

Year/Month/Trip/Timestamp/Divecomputer-001

and the new one is added as

Year/Month/Trip/Timestamp/Divecomputer-002

This creates a lot of noise when doing a git show on the a commit that
adds a second divecomputer to existing dives.

Why are we doing this? Shouldn't a single dive computer be simply named
Divecomputer-001 for consistency?