Dive Computer Ramblings

Guillaume Gardet guillaume.gardet at free.fr
Fri Sep 12 01:07:17 PDT 2014

Le 12/09/2014 09:34, Willem Ferguson a écrit :

>>> Wonder if they thought about the many aquatic animals that are sensitive to ultrasound. Technology for technology's sake?
>>> wf
>>
>> So, you can dive but you cannot see animals? ;)
>>
>> Maybe they choose good frequencies.
>>

>> Guillaume
> The question is much more fundamental. It is about the way that a recreational diver needs to take care of her/his own safety and not to depend on others except in an emergency situation. Dive safety is largely dependent on consistent care and vigilance. The question is whether dive safety would actually be improved if a diver can dive knowing that if a problem arose: because the "net" takes care of this problem. What happens to care and vigilance and the three pillars of safe diving: knowledge, experience and skills? Do you just entrust these to your fellow divers? If the whole team had this attitude, then maybe no-one would have any of these vital skills? A computer cannot provide skills. It can only provide information.

Yes, you must take this product as an enhancement, not a replacement of anything. It may alert you sooner if one diver has a problem such as low on air (if the diver did not notice it), but nothing on narcosis, or breathlessness (not sure about the English word) or any other problem which may appear.
Compared to a non connected computer, the main use case is (I guess) for air pressure sharing, it is very convenient to see the air level of our group in a glance (especially for an instructor).

Guillaume