Log for Tusa Zen DC

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:11:29 PDT 2014

I responded to Willem without including the mailing list.

On 12 Sep 2014 17:30, "Rick Walsh" <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2014 16:55, "Willem Ferguson" <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za>
wrote:

> > Dear Jef,
> >
> > I really struggle with this dive computer. It is a Zen IQ900 DC of a
colleague who is heavily involved in NAUI Scuba Diver training (i.e. "open
water"). So most of his dives are in the 3m to 15m range. He wants to see
more detail of gas loading because of the yo-yo diving inherent in
introductory training. Subsurface does an upload of data, but the data are
weird.

> > Firstly, The DC should have 99 dives, the maximum number stored by the
Zen. On Subsurface it only shows 10 dives.

>This might be a result of frequent surfacing, which the dive computer may
call separate dives but subsurface combined. My Hollis DG03 sometimes does
this (but I've never had 99 become 10 dives).

Actually, I think Linus' s explanation of limited storage is much more
likely here.

> > Secondly Subsurface sees some very funny values being read, as is
obvious from the xml dive log. For instance, on the last dive, it sees
cylinder pressures as well as a gas mixture that should not come from the
DC as it is a) not air-integrated and b) nitrox was disabled for that dive.
The temperature values are crazy. The depth profiles profile look about
right.

I have had similar behaviour downloading from my dg03. The problem is a
shaky serial connection. Re-downloading while holding the cable in place
worked.

> > Thirdly the depth scaling that Subsurface does for the dives is crazy
for all except the first and last dives.

>Could be the connection.

> > But I know nothing about the Zen. There is an outside possibility that
one or more of the settings in the machine were set incorrectly, but as far
as he can see there is no problem with any of the settings.