Back in

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Sep 16 11:14:38 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 11:32:22AM +0200, Florian Klink wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, and absolutely off-topic:
> What plans do you have about the new infrastrucure of your server?
>
> How do you want to encapsulate the different services?
>
> I'm asking because I'm also working on such a setup (currently using lxc
> containers, but want to migrate to docker).
>
> I'm just struggling with a good orchestration tool, to easily bootstrap
> new and manage running containers, will probably look at ansible for that...

I looked at orchestration tools like Chef or Puppet but they seem total
overkill for my setup.

Right now the plan is to have a few Docker containers.

The biggest challenge with Docker is that it's not really designed for the
type of services I'm running... you cannot really do the "one app one
container" thing Docker wants you to do. Trac requires a web server, a git
server, a mail server, and it's entirely non-trivial and
counter-productive to spread those out across multiple containers - at
least as far as I can tell...

So I'm using Docker/baseimage to run multiple services in one container
and basically use Docker as a set of tools to be able to encapsulate
larger logical blocks. E.g. the MySQL server is its own container. As is
the WordPress site (that one had been hacked before). I'm still in the
experimentation phase regarding the separation of the other services -
especially the trac/git server will likely be one single container...

THis means that multiple containers will be running apache and there needs
to be a reverse proxy in front of that (also apache) which means that I
have a lot of independent apache processes running. I'll have to monitor
how much that increases system resource load. I did switch to a 16 core
Xeon server with 24GB of memory, so this should be big enough for a few
years (famous last words).

My biggest problem is time. I just don't have enough. This day job keeps
distracting me from working on Subsurface infrastructure :-)