Tissue graphs a la Petrel

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Sep 17 14:05:13 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:53:29PM +0200, Robert Helling wrote:

> On 17 Sep 2014, at 17:37, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> > When I first envisioned this I thought it should give the user the data
> > for ONE point in time - just like the info overlay. So as you move the
> > mouse, the data changes, the bar graph changes. Which makes it more "like
> > the Petrel" and maybe makes it easier for the user to absorb the info. And
> > as you move the mouse it gives you the "movie" effect if done right.
> >
> > What do you think, would that improve the usefulness?
>
> You tell me (since you seem to know what you want to see). But what
> exactly do you expect from such a „one moment in time“ view? Plus it
> would break with everything else we do: We show everything as a function
> of time.

Well, we do both. We have the plot with the view over time.
And we have the "now" view in the overlay window.

> But if there is interest, we could have a window/tab that does some sort
> of movie view: Show depth, tissues, maybe events and pictures, ceilings
> etc at a specific point in the dive (which could be moved across the
> profile or advance by itself, possible with a time lapse function. So it
> would be a bit of dive simulator). What do you think? Maybe we could
> discuss a bit more about this on IRC?

As mentioned yesterday, crazy busy right now. I'll try.

But basically I was wondering if there's value in having this moment in
time display. So the thought for me was that we have the tissue based
ceiling already - there is some overlap with what you created based on my
request (and you have pointed that out from the get go). So instead of
doing that the value would be much more to see "oh, when I started my
ascent - that's how my saturation looked like". Basically the ability to
look back at what my Petrel showed me - after the fact.