Tag Filtering.

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Fri Sep 19 06:38:14 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Davide DB <dbdavide at gmail.com> wrote:

> From where I start? :)
>
> Actually it's not working on my pc, I guess.
>
> - Globe is not there anymore. I tried: View > Show all/ Show Globe.
> Now by default the lower window space is fully booked by the divelist
> table.

It is, maybe it's just collapsed ( there's a 'handler' on the right that
you can drag and make the globe appear again )
( or dirk didn't put the globe on the new build script and builded with
-NO_MARBLE )

> - Log > Filter by tag: globe space seems to be substituted by the
> search tag view.

Same as above, the globe is just collapsed.

> - Tags are all checked by default. Given that I see all my dive listed
> I understand that this should be correct: all my dives, all my tags
> checked.

Yup.

> - Problem is that I have to uncheck them one by one and it's a very
> long operation. No please.

If no tags were selected, you would see the list empty, what do you prefer?

> - I see the scrollbar moving when I Check/unchecking tags but I do not
> understand which dives are filtered. I tried with tags used in my
> logbook as wreck or reef but nothing changes.

it should, unless I did something wrong, but it seems that my tests are
correct ( I used dirk's logfile )

> Disclaimer: I'm not a developer :)
>
> Despite of this very welcome early alpha funtionality, could we try to
> implement a search feature thinking on how it should be when it's
> finished? And then starting to implement it piece by piece with a
> global design in mind?

Didn't understand.

> I remember that about one month ago I wrote an email with some mockups
> and brainstorming about search and tag filtering. It was welcomed and
> I thought we could start discussing from there.

Sure.

> Otherwise I think that some changes could force to rewrite it from scratch.
> If you like and you think that could be useful I could repost them.
> Yesterday I took 5 minutes to show how it's designed the metadata
> search on Adobe Lightroom (We can criticize Adobe for many things but
> their UI are effective.). My mockups where generated starting from
> there. BTW 100% of application have search tool on the top right/left
> section because the common F-shaped eye scanning pattern.

Not from scratch at all, the way I did, the interface is completely
separated from the filtering feature, so what we need to do is to redo the
UI, but the filter code doesn't needs to know about it.
that's why I did that way. The interface currently is provided by Qt, but
we can  completely override that.