Tag Filtering.

Davide DB dbdavide at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 06:56:09 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> It is, maybe it's just collapsed ( there's a 'handler' on the right that you
> can drag and make the globe appear again )
> ( or dirk didn't put the globe on the new build script and builded with
> -NO_MARBLE )

You are right.
Actually on Windows there's no indication of the collapsed panel until
I go there with my mouse. I see no handle.
Now I expanded a little bit.

> If no tags were selected, you would see the list empty, what do you prefer?

I understand. Maybe we could have a global checkbox or a tree view
with checks like this:

http://i.msdn.microsoft.com/dynimg/IC725568.png

I guess that the label filtering of Adobe Lightroom works in a different way.
By default you see all your photo.
When you open the tag search, nothing is selected but all your photos
are still there.
Once you click on one of them, filtering become effective.
Strange but it solves that problem, moreover they have tags hierarchy.

>> - I see the scrollbar moving when I Check/unchecking tags but I do not
>> understand which dives are filtered. I tried with tags used in my
>> logbook as wreck or reef but nothing changes.

> it should, unless I did something wrong, but it seems that my tests are
> correct ( I used dirk's logfile )

Please believe me, I restarted the application to record it and now it
works :) I feel an idiot when I write this.

I see that you used OR for multi tag selection. I would expect AND
between them. Really I do not know.

When I select "wreck" AND "photo" what I would expect?
Only the dives when I was filming a wreck or all the dives on a wreck
and all the dives I shot photos?
What do you think?

>> Otherwise I think that some changes could force to rewrite it from
>> scratch.
>> If you like and you think that could be useful I could repost them.
>> Yesterday I took 5 minutes to show how it's designed the metadata
>> search on Adobe Lightroom (We can criticize Adobe for many things but
>> their UI are effective.). My mockups where generated starting from
>> there. BTW 100% of application have search tool on the top right/left
>> section because the common F-shaped eye scanning pattern.
>

> Not from scratch at all, the way I did, the interface is completely
> separated from the filtering feature, so what we need to do is to redo the
> UI, but the filter code doesn't needs to know about it.
> that's why I did that way. The interface currently is provided by Qt, but we
> can  completely override that.

Ok, my first doubt was exactly this. That a different UX design could
force a total rewrite.
Good work indeed.

Attached my old mockup and the Lightroom search:

https://www.screenr.com/asnN

--
Davide
https://vimeo.com/bocio/videos