almost missed it - statistics update

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Sep 19 07:01:29 PDT 2014

On Sep 19, 2014, at 6:21 AM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:
> Regarding FB, I do not agree that a FB group is the best approach for support.
> I do not have a FB account nor I would give my personal data to them
> to ask something about Subsurface.
> I use Subsurface (also) because I want my dive data for me and not on
> a public service...
> Neverthless I agree that a FB group or page could be a good way to do
> some marketing.
>
> That.
> Since most of people in the world is on FB, it's the best way to approach.
> If dirk / linus give the Ok, I can create and maintain a page there.

We’ve had a Facebook page for more than two years.
We even have a vanity URL:

https://www.facebook.com/subsurfacedivelog

Jan Schubert created this and thankfully he gave me admin rights before he went
on that last dive.

All that said, we have a pathetic 163 “likes” which means “dead as a doornail” from
what I can tell.

> Actually, Dirk already have a G+ page on Subsurface where he post
> updates and so on...
> The problem is that G+ is a dead horse :)

Yep. And not a lot of divers there.

> A good compromise could be a small PhpBB forum for general support,
> feedback and a mailing list for core development.
> The risk is that most of developers doesn't visit the forum to help people.
>
> The key factor here is to create a community around Subsurface and
> showing this community around.

I’d rather poke a needle in my eye than managing a phpBB.
The mountains of spam to the mailing list and to trac are bad enough.

I’ll think about a solution.

/