Started doing the Multi - Filter component for dives.

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Fri Sep 26 18:04:06 PDT 2014

[2014-09-27 01:26:19 +0200] Anton Lundin:
> There is a wost point, where it would consume the most bailout gas to
> get the diver to the surface. Thats the point you need to plan your
> worst case scenario bailout from to size your bailout capacity.

Maybe you have two bailouts, 6L of air and 6L of EAN80. Bailing out from
depth early during the dive would give you a deco that uses all the air
but almost none of the EAN80. And bailing out later during the dive
while you're shallower uses all the EAN80 but virtually none of the
air...

> > Ideally we should give a deco schedule for bailing out at the end of
> > each planned dive segments. So if you have a multilevel dive with three
> > segments, you'd have four schedules: the normal one on CCR and three
> > bailout plans.
> >
> > I think for the moment it'd be good enough to just have a switchbox that
> > says "compute deco on CCR" and if unchecked on OC.
>
> This suggestion is actually worse than the previous setting a SP on a
> segment for CCR and setting it to zero for bailout.
>
> How would one calculate a bailout plan with your "compute deco on CCR"
> checkbox?
>
> How would one switch diluent during a dive?

Uncheck the box and you would get a deco plan on OC that starts at the
end of the last planned segment, just like we do for normal OC planning.

Sure it's not as featureful as you might want; I only suggested that
option as a relatively simple thing to implement.

> I would rather suggest adding a way to choose the sort of dive you are
> planning, OC by default, CCR and PSCR (maybe), and if CCR be able to set
> a SP during that leg of the dive, or choose a point during the dive to
> plan a bailout from.

Implementing separate UI's for OC/CCR/SCR does not seem like it would
make things easier to implement or more featureful. If we can implement
bailout at arbitrary points during a CCR dive why not do the same for OC
dives?

I'm not saying what you propose wouldn't be better. But my goal was just
to get a basic UI for CCR planning. That's all I can hope to implement
and I had forgotten it was there before.

> I must have done something bad to my v-planner install because it
> refuses to compute anything for me right now. On the other hand, there
> ui looks like a car crash and is the strangest thing I've know, so there
> is probably no point in looking at it for anything but examples on what
> not to do.

On the other hand, that's what many real-life dives are planned with
every day. It's certainly not perfect, but we could borrow a few ideas
from it. For instance: its dive plan formatting; it would help planning
dives with other divers to have some consistency between dive software
output. See: http://www.hhssoftware.com/images/v-planner_preview_7.png

--
Gaetan