Recreational mode, Add 3min stop

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:10:07 PDT 2015

On 2 April 2015 at 19:54, Robert Helling <helling at lmu.de> wrote:
> I don’t have a strong opinion on weather we should do the safety stop also
> in the trail ascent. If we did, the NDL would be longer but on the other
> hand this would make the safety stop mandatory. What do you people think?

If I'm interpreting you correctly, a mandatory safety stop isn't a
safety stop so much as 3 minutes of planned deco.  This is beyond the
limits of recreational (no stop) diving.

It's worth noting that dive tables and many recreational dive
computers do not use gradient factors or other ways of adding
conservatism.  Some users may want to run 100/100 gradient factor for
recreational dive planning to be close to the tables used in courses,
or a basic dive computer planner.  The conservatism comes from adding
in a safety stop, and ascending several minutes before the NDL reaches
zero.

I'm not suggesting another check box for automatically using 100/100
GF on recreational dive planning, but perhaps it's something that
could be mentioned in the manual or FAQ - "How come the Subsurface
recreational dive planner is so much more conservative than my dive
tables?"