Shearwater Petrel Bluetooth connection on Fedora 20

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:23:17 PDT 2015

On 13 April 2015 at 01:23, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

>> On Apr 12, 2015, at 7:58 AM, Anton Lundin <glance at acc.umu.se> wrote:
>>
>> On 12 April, 2015 - Rick Walsh wrote:
>>
>> My tips are:
>>
>> Use rfcomm connect instead of bind. Watch the command and make sure the
>> rfcomm channel have connected before starting any communication over it.
>>
>> Make sure you gave rfcomm -i [hciX|bdaddr] the right device as your
>> "source". Eg. by default it uses hci0 on my machine, the built in
>> problematic device.

Thanks Anton,
The default (built-in) device is also hci0 on my computer, and the
dongle that came with the Petrel comes up as hci1.

I made a quick attempt this morning, but ran out of time and needed to
go to work.  I'm not familiar with rfcomm or Bluetooth on Linux.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the correct command?

> Also make sure that you don’t have another program grab the port before
> Subsurface tries to open it. ModemManager is notorious for doing that…

ModemManager is thankfully not installed on my system, but I wouldn't
be surprised if something else is the culprit.  Is there any way to
find out?  Nothing suspicious is showing up in /var/log/messages

Thanks,

Rick