Shearwater Petrel Bluetooth connection on Fedora 20

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 04:41:43 PDT 2015

On 13 April 2015 at 20:13, Rodrigo Severo <rodrigo at fabricadeideias.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Rick Walsh <rickmwalsh at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I made a quick attempt this morning, but ran out of time and needed to
>> go to work.  I'm not familiar with rfcomm or Bluetooth on Linux.
>> Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the correct command?
>
> Hi,
>
> I managed to get stable connections using the rfcomm "connect" command.
>
> Here is the script I use to connect the Petrel to my computer just
> before using downloading data on Subsurface:

> rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0 00:13:43:08:96:48

Yes thanks, this is the command I'm trying, but with '-i hci1' option.

> Unfortunately the comments are in portuguese but Google Translate is
> your friend...

I'm always impressed at just how good a friend Google Translate is
each time I use it.

> Rodrigo

I'm getting slightly closer, but only if I use the bluetooth dongle
(hci1), as opposed to the build-in controller (hci0), and manually
enabling auth, with 'sudo hciconfig hci1 auth'

[rick at localhost subsurface]$ hciconfig
hci1:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:15:83:3D:0A:57  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
        UP RUNNING PSCAN AUTH
        RX bytes:1956 acl:9 sco:0 events:105 errors:0
        TX bytes:845 acl:9 sco:0 commands:70 errors:0

hci0:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: USB
        BD Address: 00:22:43:C3:EB:30  ACL MTU: 1021:8  SCO MTU: 64:1
        UP RUNNING PSCAN AUTH
        RX bytes:4840 acl:76 sco:0 events:193 errors:0
        TX bytes:2641 acl:76 sco:0 commands:93 errors:0

[rick at localhost subsurface]$ rfcomm -i hci0 connect /dev/rfcomm0
00:13:43:0E:6B:D0
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused

When I try connecting with hci0 (built-in), I get the error 'Can't
connect RFCOMM socket: Connection refused', and the 'Wait PC' timer on
the Petrel keeps ticking down as if nothing has happened.

[rick at localhost subsurface]$ rfcomm -i hci1 connect /dev/rfcomm0
00:13:43:0E:6B:D0
Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Invalid exchange

When I try connecting with hci1 (dongle), I get a different error,
'Can't connect RFCOMM socket: Invalid exchange', and the Petrel gives
me the error message 'BT INIT FAIL'.

Obviously, it still isn't working, but I feel at least they're trying
to talk to each other.  Surely that's a good start.  Anton, Rodrigo,
(and anyone else whose Petrel is connecting on Linux) what does
hciconfig show for you?  As enabling 'auth' made some difference, I'm
wondering if there's something else that's important.

Cheers,