Prototype for customizable printing support.

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:29:22 PDT 2015

On 16 April 2015 at 01:33, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 April 2015 at 01:14, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> As we are approaching gsoc community bonding period so I thought that a
>> small prototype may be the best way to discuss my thoughts with the
>> community.
>> I sent a group of patches with a very small but full working prototype.
>>
>> - I added Grantlee library to subsurface code base (thanks for the cmake
>> build environment it made my life much easier as I don't know qmake at all)
>> - I create a simple Grantlee template that prints two dives per page.
>> - the TemplateLayout class iterates the selected dives and interface with
>> Grantlee backend.
>> - QWebview and QPainter are used to render the html file living in a
>> QTemporaryFile object.
>> - finally I added the "print using templates" option in the print dialog.
>>
>> Note: I tested this on Linux only, so there may be problems on other
>> platforms.
>> also many exceptions still need to be handled this is only a fast prototype
>> for discussion.
>>
>> So you may test this and tell me what do you think?

i've reached an error when trying the patches:

[ 22%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/subsurface_corelib.dir/printer.cpp.obj
In file included from C:\dev\subsurface\templatelayout.h:8:0,
                 from C:\dev\subsurface\printer.cpp:2:
C:/dev/subsurface/qt-ui/mainwindow.h:15:27: fatal error: ui_mainwindow.h: No suc
h file or directory
 #include "ui_mainwindow.h"
                           ^

the obvious reason for that is that UIC has not generated the said file yet.
no idea why it happens in this particular case, as i'm able to build
the current master with cmake.

i have comments on the the patches themself, but will leave that for
the weekend.
my advice would be to take your time with the project as some mentors
(including me) are quite busy.
i think we should try to take advantage of the full timeline as much
as possible.

lubomir