Patch to support libmarblewidget-qt5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Apr 24 09:55:05 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 11:31:41AM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>
> > I would love it if Fedora just dropped Subsurface instead.
>
> I'm not subsurface maintainer (but kde/marble), but I can pass on your
> sentiments.

Thanks - this is unlikely to be a surprise to Pierre-Yves (who is the maintainer)
:-)

But last time he and I talked about it he preferred to still have the
package included.

> > The user experience using upstream Marble and upstream libdivecomputer is
> > just inconsistent with what the user gets when using our binaries.
>
> Why?

libmarblewidget apparently wasn't ever designed as a standalone library so
it includes a lot of "features" that are great when using it for Marble
but are really annoying when using it in 3rd party software. Context
menues, wiki links, routing code, plugin loading... lots of things that we
either don't need or worse don't want and can't easily get rid of.

For that reason we have our own fork of Marble from which we build a much
smaller custom libssrfmarblewidget... Subsurface 4.5 will require that
library and has it's name hardcoded. Of course, Subsurface being open
source a determined maintainer could easily work around that :-)

Similarly, we have our own version of libdivecomputer that includes some
changes that upstream wasn't ready to take and that improve the user
experience. We document that behavior in our user manual and it's
confusing to the user if this isn't what happens.

>From the data I have I can guess than fewer than a dozen Fedora users use
the Subsurface that comes packaged with Fedora - a few more are using the
binaries that I provide, and roughly the same number build development
versions from source. Overall Fedora isn't really a big platform for us
something like 1.6% of our users (and this includes a few of the developers
who use Fedora).