User manual changes for 4.5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Fri Apr 24 14:52:45 PDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 09:06:47PM +0200, Willem Ferguson wrote:
> On 24/04/2015 20:27, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> >
> >Please check the very latest git master as of a few minutes ago.
> >This should be fixed now :-)
> >
> >/D
> I just built SHA gc97e from scratch, i.e. starting with an empty src. I am
> sure this was minutes(!) before your latest update. Two questions.
>
> 1) If I just pull the latest git subsurface master into src/subsurface and
> leave the other directories inside src (like marble, libgit2 and
> libdivecomputer) intact, then build.sh will just rebuild subsurface without
> rebuilding the rest (especially marble that is a monster). Is this correct?

Yes, it shouldn't rebuild anything there. It will briefly run make but
those take a second or two. Once you ran build.sh you can just as easily
pull in subsurface and then run make in subsurface/build

> 2) How do I go about a system install of the latest build on my machine?,
> (taking into account the user-manual and any other ancillary files?). Of
> course I can do a brute-force install as root, just copying the files, but I
> am sure this is not the idea.

That part is not fully baked / tested. On my todo list

> 3) What does the binary in install-root do?

You can execute it from there - but that's of course kinda pointless. As I
said, this part needs work. Hopefully I'll get to it early next week (this
weekend is busy - I have my second dan black belt test tomorrow and will
spend Sunday dealing with the pain and soreness :-D )