libzip and non-ascii home directories on Windows

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 28 05:54:02 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 02:16:32PM +0300, Lubomir I. Ivanov wrote:
> On 28 April 2015 at 11:55, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 28 April 2015 at 08:39, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
> >> So this problem apparently still isn't fixed. How frustrating.
> >> The current 4.4.1 Windows binaries are build with libzip version
> >> 42199fe38a16 which should contain all the necessary fixes, yet exporting
> >> to divelogs.de still fails without any error.
> >>
> >> I have now created a new Windows VM where I was able to create a local
> >> user with the useful user name of Møtörhæđ Łüñçïß - and I can reproduce
> >> the problem. I built the latest master of libzip and dropped it into the
> >> program folder - still the same problem.
> >>
> >> Before I try to sprinkle the sources with tons of debug output... Lubomir,
> >> any idea what's up here?
>
> it works for me i.e. i can't seem to feed a unicode path that doesn't
> work for standalone libzip or the divelogs code.
> any technical output to base my research on is appreciated.

Which version of libzip are you using in your tests?
As usual, my understanding of all this is somewhat limited. Path handling
on Windows makes no sense to me :-(

I built a Subsurface binary with version 42199fe38a16 which appears to
have all the relevant changes and all I can see is that it silently fails
to export to divelogs.de for my new user Møtörhæđ Łüñçïß.
I'll add a ton of debug output to see where exactly it fails and with
which error...