Moving Subsurface photos between directories

Robert Helling helling at atdotde.de
Wed Apr 29 05:12:45 PDT 2015

Willem,

> On 29.04.2015, at 09:28, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> Please look through the following paragraph for the user manual, will you?

Maybe you should mention that for dives with images created with a previous version of subsurface, there is not yet a fingerprint computed. You can force this by showing the dive (by selecting it in the dive list as a single dive so the images are shown in the profile), and going to edit mode and then saving the dive. Maybe this can be simplified, see below.

> Your system provides pretty sophisticated image management. None of the image management software that I use includes such automatic remapping of image locations. Its impressive.
>
> Three suggestions to make the management of images using hash sums more smooth:
>
> 1) If I understand it correctly there is a problem in calculating hashes for each photo already associated with a dive in Subsurface. That is, to update the existing dive log so that all photos have valid hash sums in XML. It appears to me that, in order to do this, one has to force Subsurface to save a dive while the photos are shown for that dive. In large photo collections over large numbers of dives this may be a very tedious and somewhat risky job: Open each dive individually, Do some changes to dive details, save update for that dive. IF I AM CORRECT, I think there is a big need for a facility that determines whether a) there is an existing XML hash attribute for each image, b) if so, whether the XML hash sum for each image is a valid hash sum, c) if there is no hash sum or an invalid hash sum (e.g. ""), then to calculate the hash sum for the image and write that into the XML.  Is my understanding of this correct? Because this is a once-of type of activity, such a facility should probably be activated by a command line option, not from within the GUI.

I totally agree. Maybe I find some time over the weekend to implement that. But I think this should either be automatic (like the version conversion we currently do) or with a GUI element since at least for Windows users the command line is almost infinitely far away (and for many Mac users as well).

> 2) The option "Hash images" in the main menu is a bit cryptic for non-technical users. I would suggest “
> Find moved images" or something similar ??

Will do that as well.

> 3) Any way of reusing the same bottom blue bar shown while converting a XML dive log to the new XML format? Some type of visual feedback while doing the hash sum calculations and updating for all images is crucial.

As well as this. Canceling might be a bit complicated as this would need to collect all the spawned subprocesses…

Best
Robert

                      Scientific Coordinator
                      Phone: +49 89 2180-4523  Theresienstr. 39, rm. B339
                      http://www.atdotde.de

Enhance your privacy, use cryptography! My PGP keys have fingerprints
A9D1 A01D 13A5 31FA 6515  BB44 0820 367C 36BC 0C1D    and
DCED 37B6 251C 7861 270D  5613 95C7 9D32 9A8D 9B8F