Customizable prints progress

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 02:51:37 PDT 2015

hello Gehad,

On 6 August 2015 at 02:25, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Lubomir,
>
> I wanted to update you with my progress till now, Last week I got stuck with
> a bug that took long time to debug and fix (I didn't fix it completely but
> hopefully will refactor my fixing code soon), here is what I completed till
> now
>
> Template enhancement:
> - Manage unused space in (One dive/ Two dives) Templates.

some of the previous margin issues are still present.

> - Added new 6 dives per page template.

nice, thank you!

> - Remove warning label from dive profile.

i haven't checked this in the application itself, but the code looks
OK on a quick glance.

> Fix issues:
> - Handle QColorDialog invalid colors.
> - Fix incorrect state in templateEdit dialog.
> - Remove unnecessary call to Qt5.5 function.
> - Use colors defined in color palette.
>
> all commits are pushed to my branch.

here are some observations and comments. even if i'm not a great
designer, i will try to provide you with some detailed feedback on
each template. basically i suggest that we solve these before pushing
to master and then we can start wrapping things up with community
feedback and eventual fixes before the GSoC "pencils down" date.

1) all colors themes:
i suggest we introduce another color so that we have "Table cells 1"
and "Table cells 2". "Table cells 2" will be what color we have at the
moment as "Background" and "Background" will be a default white
(0xffffff) for all templates and themes. my reasoning behind this is
that solid colors on the *whole* page don't make sense for everyone,
so some might want to use white, while the second color for the table
cells is nice to have.

also please add a "Table border" color defaulting to black (0x000000)
on all templates.

2) generic changes for *all* templates:
- divide the current border width by two (if by two is too much try * 2/3)
- remove the outer most border for all templates except "table". it
acts like a separator between dives, but we didn't have it in the
previous version
- make the actual data font width regular (not bold) - e.g. Dive No
(bold): 232 (not bold)
if it looks too small, increase the default font height to 10
(probably not needed).

2) flow layout:
- there is still some empty space (margin) on the right.
- the dive profile is missing - not sure how easy it is to add it?
- the end of last dive on the page is cut and the same applies to the
start of the next dive on the new page. is that related to the page
calculations or is it a CSS/HTML?

3) one dive:
- there is still some empty space (margin) on the right.
- it doesn't look like the "one dive per page" in the previous
version, but apart from the generic changes we are going to leave it
as is, until user feedback

4) six dives:
- thanks for adding this one
- there is still some empty space (margin) on the right.

5) table:
- there are margins on the top, left, right which are undefined. the
table should fit the page width and start from the top when no margins
are set.
- leave the outer border for this template, but reduce it's size as
mentioned in "generic"
- the "Table cells 1" color continues on the left and right of the
table, should stop where the outer border ends
- dives at the end of the pages are still cut, probably due to the
unwanted margins on top

6) two dives:
- there is still some empty space (margin) on the right.

that's it for now. let me know if something doesn't make sense or if
you need help with something in particular.

lubomir