Petrel 2 bluetooth link

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 13:44:22 PDT 2015

Hi Andrej,

On 7 Aug 2015 6:06 am, "Andrej Prsa" <aprsa09 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> This has been discussed before and it seems that some people managed to
> get it to work, but there seems to be no definitive way to get it to
> work. I tried the FAQ entry and that didn't do it for me. I tried the
> dongle that came with the DC as well as my built-in bluetooth, and both
> times I'm seeing the same problem. I can pair with the DC without a
> problem with:
>
>         sudo bluez-simple-agent hci0 [addr]
>
> I can initialize a connection with:
>
>         sudo rfcomm -i hci0 connect rfcomm0 [addr] 5
>
> But, in precisely 10 seconds, the DC displays SLIP RX: Timeout, and
> syslog spews out the following:
>
> kernel: [ 9142.871813] Bluetooth: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported
> ModemManager[744]: <info>  Creating modem with plugin 'Generic' and '1'
ports
> ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Could not grab port (tty/rfcomm0): 'Cannot add
port 'tty/rfcomm0', unhandled serial type'
> ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Couldn't create modem for device at
'/sys/devices/virtual/tty/rfcomm0': Failed to find primary AT port
> ModemManager[744]: <info>  Creating modem with plugin 'Generic' and '1'
ports
> ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Could not grab port (tty/rfcomm0): 'Cannot add
port 'tty/rfcomm0', unhandled serial type'
> ModemManager[744]: <warn>  Couldn't create modem for device at
'/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb4/4-1/4-1.6/4-1.6:1.0/bluetooth/hci0/hci0:12/rfcomm0':
Failed to find primary AT port
> kernel: [ 9148.870288] Bluetooth: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported
> kernel: [ 9148.870355] Bluetooth: TIOCGSERIAL is not supported
> ModemManager[744]: <info>  (tty/rfcomm0): released by modem
/sys/devices/virtual/tty/rfcomm0

> Tried and retried, to no avail. The DC always times out after 10 seconds.
>
> Any ideas/hints?

Firstly, try the simplest options.
1) turn off your petrel, turn it back on again and try again. Sometimes
this works.
2) try a fresh battery in the petrel. Bluetooth takes a bit of power for
devices, and they struggle with low battery.

What distro are you using, and what version of bluez?  It appears you have
bluez v4.x. I tested with bluez v5.x. Perhaps it works slightly differently
with the earlier version.

Also, what version of Subsurface? The latest stable is 4.4.2 and will be
installable by adding a repository following instructions on the download
page. Most distros include an older version.

Shearwater released a firmware update a few weeks ago. Did you install it?
I wrote that faq entry after testing with the previous firmware. I know the
update changed how bluetooth communicates, at least with android devices.
It might have altered the rfcomm channel too.

Do you have sdptool installed? It should be in a package called
bluez-utils. Try running.
sdptool -i hci0 records [addr]

This should show what each channel does. Maybe you don't want channel 5 to
set up the rfcomm connection.

Finally, if you want to test a testing version of subsurface, the latest
daily build includes native bluetooth support. No need to set up the
connection with rfcomm or use sudo. How you install a daily build depends
on your distro.

Cheers,

Rick