Petrel 2 bluetooth link

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:58:44 PDT 2015

Hi Andrej,

On 7 August 2015 at 07:37, Andrej Prsa <aprsa09 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> > 1) turn off your petrel, turn it back on again and try again.
> > Sometimes this works.
>
> Check.
>
> > 2) try a fresh battery in the petrel. Bluetooth takes a bit of power
> > for devices, and they struggle with low battery.
>
> Check.
>
> > What distro are you using, and what version of bluez?  It appears you
> > have bluez v4.x. I tested with bluez v5.x. Perhaps it works slightly
> > differently with the earlier version.
>
> My apologies, I should have included this earlier. I am running ubuntu
> 15.04 with bluez-4.101, and subsurface 4.4.2 via PPA. I don't have
> windows/mac, so can't test other OSes (easily).

I'm surprised that the current version of Ubuntu uses bluez-4, but it
should still work with version 4.

> > Shearwater released a firmware update a few weeks ago. Did you
> > install it?
>
> Nope, firmware version is 28, Features 20080, Hardware 2.4.3.
>
> > Do you have sdptool installed? It should be in a package called
> > bluez-utils. Try running.
> > sdptool -i hci0 records [addr]
>
> This is how I figured out that the channel is 5; here's the output:
>
> Service Name: Serial Port
> Service RecHandle: 0x10000
> Service Class ID List:
>   "Serial Port" (0x1101)
> Protocol Descriptor List:
>   "L2CAP" (0x0100)
>   "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
>     Channel: 5
>
> > And another simple possibility, that trips people over all the time.
> > Are you a member of the dialout group on your computer?  I just fell
> > for that one on a new computer.
>
> Yep, I added myself to dialout and made sure I can touch /dev/rfcomm0.
>
> > Finally, if you want to test a testing version of subsurface, the
> > latest daily build includes native bluetooth support. No need to set
> > up the connection with rfcomm or use sudo. How you install a daily
> > build depends on your distro.
>
> I'll do this right now.

The daily build for Ubuntu can be installed from:

ppa:subsurface/subsurface-daily

Note that the testing version is just that.  It works for me, and your help
in testing is much appreciated, but there's a reason why it isn't called
stable.  You might come across bugs.  This development cycle includes more
new features than normal, including native bluetooth support, and some are
still work in progress.  I am not sure if native bluetooth support has been
tested with Bluez 4.

Native Bluetooth support isn't yet in the documentation.  To use it, go to
download (ctrl-D), check the "Choose Blueooth download mode" box.  Power on
your bluetooth device if it isn't already, hit scan and select your dive
computer.  If it doesn't say it's paired, right click to pair it.  Click
save to close the bluetooth dialog, then select download.

> Thanks a bunch for your help! I'll report on the latest subsurface
> version as soon as I've tested it.

I'm off for a few days diving, so won't be able to help much, but please do
report any issues.  Claudiu is the one who has done the great work in
bringing the native bluetooth support.

Cheers,

Rick