Testing Native Bluetooth support on Windows platforms

Rick Walsh rickmwalsh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 04:15:29 PDT 2015

Hi Claudiu,

I have tested the native Bluetooth support on Windows on two laptops:
1) Windows 8.1 on an HP laptop with onboard Broadcom 43142 Bluetooth
adapter - an awful combined Bluetooth/Wifi device that does not like Linux
(buggy for Wifi, even with the proprietary kernel module, and very very
buggy to the extent that I use a dongle instead), but appears to function
fine with Windows
2) 32 bit (but 64 bit hardware) Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 on ASUS laptop
with onboard Broadcom BT-253 (no troubles with this adapter on either
Windows or Linux)

On 9 August 2015 at 01:26, Claudiu Olteanu <
olteanu.vasilica.claudiu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I wanted to let you know that I finished the implementation of the
> native Bluetooth support on Windows platforms.
>
> If you have a dive computer with Bluetooth support from HW_OSTC3 or
> Shearwater family it would be very useful if you will help me to do
> some tests. You can download the installer from here[1].
>
> The download transfer is supposed to work on Windows platforms
> greater than or equal to Windows XP SP 2.
> You should know that if your local Bluetooth device is
> not using the Windows Bluetooth stack and uses another one
> (WINCOMM, Soleil, etc.) it will not work.
>
> Currently I tested the installer on 4 laptops with their integrated
> Bluetooth adapter:
> - Lenovo Y50 (OS: Windows 8.1)
> - Lenovo Y510p (OS: Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (VM), Windows XP SP2 (VM))
> - Acer Aspire One D260 (OS: Windows 7)
> - Dell Latitude e5430 (OS: Windows 8.1)
>
> On some environments the pairing step took more than expected
> and the download process got stuck. If you encounter the same
> problem please try to manually pair the devices.

Pairing in Subsurface works on the Windows 8.1 machine (Broadcom 43142),
but not on the Vista machine (Broadcom BT-253) - download fails with No
device found.

> Also on my virtual machines with Windows 7 and Windows XP SP2 sometimes
> the name of the devices are not displayed correctly (they are empty).

Initially on the Windows 8.1 machine, the device name wasn't displayed, but
now it is (after a successful pairing and download)

On the Vista machine, the device name was displayed, even before I had
paired.

> If you have any issues/questions, please let me know.

Other than the pairing issue on the older machine, download works as
expected. Nice work!

I like that pairing is now 'invisible' to the user.  But it would be good
if you could detect when downloading fails, and provide a more meaningful
message to prompt the user to pair manually (this goes for all systems, not
just Windows).

I didn't need to download the Microsoft C++ package on either system.  I
can't remember doing it previously for either computer, but the Vista
laptop is old, so there's a chance I did in the past and forgot about it.

> Have a nice weekend,
> Claudiu
>
> [1] -
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/pz03kd0qno05m45/subsurface-4.4.2-1329-ge45e3f0e8392.exe?dl=0