building on a Mac

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sun Aug 16 19:12:20 PDT 2015

So I've spent some time today with Guido on the challenges of building Subsurface on a Mac from scratch. And to call the experience for him a disaster would be putting it way too kindly.

I pushed a few changes that I hope will make this better but this will require some more testing.

If you have a Mac and would like to help, the steps to do this are a bit drastic because we need to make sure we have a somewhat consistent starting point, but based on my attempts in a fresh OS X 10.10 VM I think this should work.

So Guido, here is what I think you (and anyone else who wants to play along) will have to do.

a) remove Qt 5 - regardless where it came from: official installer, built from source, installed via MacPorts or Homebrew or whatever
b) uninstall Homebrew and all packages you have installed via Homebrew
c) remove the Subsurface-created folders under ~/src

OK, now you have a pretty clean and reproducible environment.

cd ~/src
git clone git://subsurface-divelog.org/subsurface <git://subsurface-divelog.org/subsurface>

now read the instructions in subsurface/INSTALL - or simply follow along here:

1)  Install Homebrew

$ ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

2) Install needed dependencies

$ brew install asciidoc libzip sqlite cmake libusb pkg-config automake libtool

3) Make the brew version of sqlite the default

$ brew link --force sqlite

4) Download and install Qt

Download the online installer:

$ curl -L -o ~/Downloads/qt-unified-mac-x64-online.dmg \
        http://download.qt.io/official_releases/online_installers/qt-unified-mac-x64-online.dmg
$ open ~/Downloads/qt-unified-mac-x64-online.dmg

Double click on the Qt installer shown in the Finder window.
In the installer, use the default install folder /home/<your username>/Qt)
To save time and disk space you can unselect Android and IOS packages
as well as QtWebEngine, Qt3D, Qt Canvas 3D and the Qt Extras.

5) run the build script

$ cd ~/src
$ bash subsurface/scripts/build.sh

After the above is done, Subsurface.app will be available in the
subsurface/build directory. You can run Subsurface with the command

$ open subsurface/build/Subsurface.app

I'm foolishly optimistic that this will work. And I would like people to try this so we can see where it breaks and fix those missing pieces.

Thanks