at some point we need to release Subsurface 4.5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Aug 17 06:16:32 PDT 2015

I've been saying this for a while now. But I'd like to actually try and
make this happen sooner rather than later...

So here's what I can remember of the top of my head...

Location management
===================

The location management work turned into an utter disaster of many
attempts that no one liked but I think we are getting closer there. What's
missing before this is ready for actual users?

Davide, are you back? Henrik, any chance you can help provide a todo list
of what's needed before we can use this in a release? What I'm looking for
is a TODO list...

Cloud storage
=============

Cloud storage has received a small amount of testing but it is still
missing even the most basic trivial merge support.

Is there anyone who can step up and work on this? It's plain C code, I
don't think this will be all that hard... if only we had someone on the
team who understands git... and whose other project is kind of in a slow
phase right now before the next merge window...

Undo/redo
=========

Undo/redo is there for a hand full of operations. That's nice but are we
OK with this? And can the mixing of things that get added to the undo
stack and operations that don't get added to the undo stack cause
disaster?

I think this mainly needs testing. Lots of testing. This is a chance for
all of you people on this mailing list who aren't developers but who want
to help! What would be great is simply a collection of emails "this has
been tested and works / here is how I can make this break". Any volunteers
who would like to take ownership here? You don't have to fix the bugs,
just document what works and where things might fail.

Printing
========

Printing seems to be fairly close - there are a few known bugs that Gehad
is working on but I'm quite happy there. Except that I believe we haven't
gotten it to work on the Mac, yet, correct?

Gehad / Lubomir, I assume you have a TODO list of what's still missing?
Tomaz, have you been able to look at the Mac issue?

VPM-B
=====

VPM-B - at least for the planner I understand that we are getting closer.
Ignoring the fact that so far we aren't matching known profiles :-/

Robert / Jan - do you have a TODO list for what is needed?

Bluetooth support
=================

BT support is looking fairly good on Linux and making progress on Windows,
I think, but I'm sure there are tons of small issues lurking here and
there. Has anyone gotten it to work on Mac, yet?

Claudiu / Thiago - do you have a TODO list?

Android app
===========

The Android app is also making great progress - but can be released
independently of 4.5 (admittedly, I'd love to release them together - but
it obviously cannot be released until 4.5 is out as it uses cloud storage
to connect to the dive data of a user).

What's the feature set we'd want for that first release? Do we need
download on the device? Or is what Grace has right now already reasonaby
sufficient? It definitely needs lots of testing and tuning of the UI.

User manual

That needs massive work for all the amazing features that we have added.
Willem, will you be able to do that?
Once we have agreed on a feature set for the Android app, that needs a
separate user manual as well. Volunteers?

WHAT ELSE?