at some point we need to release Subsurface 4.5

Willem Ferguson willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za
Mon Aug 17 07:12:27 PDT 2015

On 17/08/2015 15:16, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> I've been saying this for a while now. But I'd like to actually try and
> make this happen sooner rather than later...
>
> So here's what I can remember of the top of my head...
>
> Location management
> ===================
>
> The location management work turned into an utter disaster of many
> attempts that no one liked but I think we are getting closer there. What's
> missing before this is ready for actual users?
>
> Davide, are you back? Henrik, any chance you can help provide a todo list
> of what's needed before we can use this in a release? What I'm looking for
> is a TODO list...

TODO:

I currently manage my dive sites by hand-editing the XML. At present, if
I enter Times Square as a dive site and tell Subsurface to create a new
site, it happily does so without also creating the coordinates. So, two
things:
1) Allow coordinate selection from marble, as previously.
2) Allow text entry of coordinates as previously.

Currently, when I enter Times Square, it says "create a dive site" with
a + to the right. If the + is chosen, then a panel should open as
suggested in the *attached image*. If "Enter coordinates from world map"
is chosen, then the orange bar at the top of the globe is activated,
allowing a click on the globe to be saved. If text is used, there is a
suitable text box. For me, it would mean a lot if there is a clear
indication whether the text coordinates have (not) been accepted.
Clicking the Apply or the Cancel button (or a click on the globe) closes
the panel. I assume that import from the Companion Ap would follow the
usual dialogue, not involved here. The above would be mostly the
existing code base with minimal new programming.

> User manual
> ===========
>
> That needs massive work for all the amazing features that we have added.
> Willem, will you be able to do that?
Absolutely. I will be in the US from Sept 11-Oct 9th but I am available
most of that time.
> Once we have agreed on a feature set for the Android app, that needs a
> separate user manual as well. Volunteers?
>
> WHAT ELSE?
>
> I'm sure there are other areas that I'm forgetting...
>
> /D
>
> ____

A smaller addition is the work that Miika has put into reading text APD
CCR dive log dumps into Subsurface.

Kind regards,
willem