at some point we need to release Subsurface 4.5

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Mon Aug 17 07:26:57 PDT 2015

> On Aug 17, 2015, at 7:12 AM, Willem Ferguson <willemferguson at zoology.up.ac.za> wrote:
>
> On 17/08/2015 15:16, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> I've been saying this for a while now. But I'd like to actually try and
>> make this happen sooner rather than later...
>>
>> So here's what I can remember of the top of my head...
>>
>> Location management
>> ===================
>>
>> The location management work turned into an utter disaster of many
>> attempts that no one liked but I think we are getting closer there. What's
>> missing before this is ready for actual users?
>>
>> Davide, are you back? Henrik, any chance you can help provide a todo list
>> of what's needed before we can use this in a release? What I'm looking for
>> is a TODO list...
>
> TODO:
>
> I currently manage my dive sites by hand-editing the XML. At present, if I enter Times Square as a dive site and tell Subsurface to create a new site, it happily does so without also creating the coordinates. So, two things:
> 1) Allow coordinate selection from marble, as previously.
> 2) Allow text entry of coordinates as previously.

Both works when you go to View->Dive site edit (that's still capitalized wrong)

> Currently, when I enter Times Square, it says "create a dive site" with a + to the right. If the + is chosen, then a panel should open as suggested in the attached image. If "Enter coordinates from world map" is chosen, then the orange bar at the top of the globe is activated, allowing a click on the globe to be saved. If text is used, there is a suitable text box. For me, it would mean a lot if there is a clear indication whether the text coordinates have (not) been accepted. Clicking the Apply or the Cancel button (or a click on the globe) closes the panel. I assume that import from the Companion Ap would follow the usual dialogue, not involved here. The above would be mostly the existing code base with minimal new programming.

I don't think that's what we want.
What's odd is that right now you have to go to the Menu to edit a dive site instead of being able to trigger this from the Notes tab. But we really want to use that UI.
Also, in the dive site edit UI you can't change which dive site you are editing... I know that Davide had put together a wonderful UI mockup for all of this... I really hope that he and Tomaz can finish this part - or get it to a sane state, soon.
>> User manual
>>
>> That needs massive work for all the amazing features that we have added.
>> Willem, will you be able to do that?
> Absolutely. I will be in the US from Sept 11-Oct 9th but I am available most of that time.

Cool. I don't have a time line, yet, because I'm still trying to wrap my mind around all the things that still have to be done.
>> WHAT ELSE?
>>
>> I'm sure there are other areas that I'm forgetting...
>
> A smaller addition is the work that Miika has put into reading text APD CCR dive log dumps into Subsurface.

Yes, there are a TON of new features that Miika has added regarding data input. We need to make sure they are all documented and tested.