Location management [was: at some point we need to release Subsurface 4.5]

Henrik Brautaset Aronsen henrik at synth.no
Tue Aug 18 11:58:55 PDT 2015

On 17 Aug 2015, at 15:16, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:

> Location management
> ===================
>
> The location management work turned into an utter disaster of many
> attempts that no one liked but I think we are getting closer there. What's
> missing before this is ready for actual users?
>
> Davide, are you back? Henrik, any chance you can help provide a todo list
> of what's needed before we can use this in a release? What I'm looking for
> is a TODO list…

I haven’t played with Subsurface for a while, so I compiled the recent master.  Here’s some feedback:

(1) The Notes » Location field needs an Edit button

(2) The “Create dive site” pulldown should stick to the Location field.  It doesn’t always do that: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1087529/location-1.png

(3) Selecting the “Create dive site” entry in the Location pulldown should open the Dive site edit dialog, I think.  Also, when I save the changes from that dialog, the Dive should not be in edit mode.

(4) Dive site management needs its own view, so that I can browse/edit/delete  dive sites

(5) I go to View » Dive site edit (which the button in (1) should point to).  I enter coordinates copied from Google Maps: 34.071704,-118.4173973.  This should zoom the globe to that position and set the flag. It doesn’t.

(6) If I just paste coordinates into the Coordinates field, the field doesn’t switch to “edit mode” (the field background doesn’t turn yellow).  I need to type within the coordinate string to make Subsurface register it as an edit.

(7) Sometime Subsurface crashes when I apply dive site changes, but not always: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1087529/location-crash.txt

(8) Zooming the marble map with the touch pad is really difficult.  It jumps and stumbles.  I *really* miss that zoom bar.  The plus/minus keyboard buttons work somewhat, but they’re slow.

(9) The first time I  entered a dummy name for a new dive site, I got three identical warnings that “geonames cannot lookup this site” (in a red box at the bottom of the screen).

(10) When I select a dive, and do “edit dive site”, only the currently selected dive is shown in the bottom-left quadrant.  I guess it should list all the dives on this the dive site?  Or maybe I’m only seeing the result of (11)?

(11) In the Location box, if I select a different dive site from the pulldown, it only copies the name.  It doesn’t actually use that other dive site.

(12) have opened a log file, and the Location field seems editable, so I try that to change its name.  But if I try that, a “Create dive site” box appears.   As a new user it would not be obvious to me how to change the name.  Maybe a “Rename dive site to: asdfsdfsdf” should be in that pull-down?  But that pull-down is so crowded already.  So, this is a can of worms.  I’ll try to think some more.

Cheers,
Henrik