Location management [was: at some point we need to release Subsurface 4.5]

Tomaz Canabrava tcanabrava at kde.org
Tue Aug 18 12:28:09 PDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Tomaz Canabrava <tcanabrava at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 3:58 PM, Henrik Brautaset Aronsen <henrik at synth.no
> > wrote:
>
>> On 17 Aug 2015, at 15:16, Dirk Hohndel <dirk at hohndel.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Location management
>> > ===================
>> >
>> > The location management work turned into an utter disaster of many
>> > attempts that no one liked but I think we are getting closer there.
>> What's
>> > missing before this is ready for actual users?
>> >
>> > Davide, are you back? Henrik, any chance you can help provide a todo
>> list
>> > of what's needed before we can use this in a release? What I'm looking
>> for
>> > is a TODO list…
>>

> and I'm in 'addressing most of the things on this list' mode.
>

>> I haven’t played with Subsurface for a while, so I compiled the recent
>> master.  Here’s some feedback:
>>
>> (1) The Notes » Location field needs an Edit button

Why?

>> (2) The “Create dive site” pulldown should stick to the Location field.
>> It doesn’t always do that:
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1087529/location-1.png

This is a (terrible) bug regarding to the widgets. the Dropdown opens
before the view (animately) shows the message, so it shows the dropdown in
the worst place ever. I really don't know how to fix this unless we use a
different approach.

(3) Selecting the “Create dive site” entry in the Location pulldown should
>> open the Dive site edit dialog, I think.  Also, when I save the changes
>> from that dialog, the Dive should not be in edit mode.

Good point.
about the second point, when you save a dive site, you are still in edit
mode because you could have made some edits on the dive that you don't
wanna save.

>> (4) Dive site management needs its own view, so that I can
>> browse/edit/delete  dive sites

it does, but I don't think it would be ready for 4.5 unfortunately.  (
mostly because the amount of code in the current subsurface that depends on
the DiveListView is insane ), so first I need to untangle that out.

>> (5) I go to View » Dive site edit (which the button in (1) should point
>> to).  I enter coordinates copied from Google Maps: 34.071704,-118.4173973.
>> This should zoom the globe to that position and set the flag. It doesn’t.

Looking.

> (6) If I just paste coordinates into the Coordinates field, the field
>> doesn’t switch to “edit mode” (the field background doesn’t turn yellow).
>> I need to type within the coordinate string to make Subsurface register it
>> as an edit.

Strange. will take a look.

> (7) Sometime Subsurface crashes when I apply dive site changes, but not
>> always: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1087529/location-crash.txt

Looking.

>> (8) Zooming the marble map with the touch pad is really difficult.  It
>> jumps and stumbles.  I *really* miss that zoom bar.  The plus/minus
>> keyboard buttons work somewhat, but they’re slow.

easy to re-enable, this can be an option.

>> (9) The first time I  entered a dummy name for a new dive site, I got
>> three identical warnings that “geonames cannot lookup this site” (in a red
>> box at the bottom of the screen).

You clicked in any button the geonames should run only if you click on a
specific button?

>> (10) When I select a dive, and do “edit dive site”, only the currently
>> selected dive is shown in the bottom-left quadrant.  I guess it should list
>> all the dives on this the dive site?  Or maybe I’m only seeing the result
>> of (11)?

should list all the dives on this dive site, looking.

>> (11) In the Location box, if I select a different dive site from the
>> pulldown, it only copies the name.  It doesn’t actually use that other dive
>> site.

hm... looking.

>> (12) have opened a log file, and the Location field seems editable, so I
>> try that to change its name.  But if I try that, a “Create dive site” box
>> appears.   As a new user it would not be obvious to me how to change the
>> name.  Maybe a “Rename dive site to: asdfsdfsdf” should be in that
>> pull-down?  But that pull-down is so crowded already.  So, this is a can of
>> worms.  I’ll try to think some more.

that thing is to select the dive site ( and not edit ), so to edit the user
should only click on the edit button and edit it there.
I'm almost killing ( again ) the touch-to-find the dive site, and adding a
'add' button.