Customizable prints progress

Lubomir I. Ivanov neolit123 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 09:44:10 PDT 2015

On 22 August 2015 at 19:20, Gehad Elrobey <gehadelrobey at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Lubomir I. Ivanov <neolit123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> can we eventually support HTML/CSS editing of the statistics template,
>> for instance - adding/removing table columns such as year.avg_depth,
>> year.max_depth etc?
>> does that mean we need another Custom.html?
>>

> We need to add Custom.html template in printing_templates/statistics, So we
> can saved edited statistics template there, unless we support in-place
> editing.
>

>> actually, this opens some questions about the Custom.html
>> concept...something that i have missed.
>>
>> how can the user edit, say the 6-dives template and save it from
>> Subsurface? it always saves to the Custom.html template and editing in
>> place is not possible. of course this is nice in a way, as they can't
>> modify the bundled templates but i think *they should* and it's their
>> problem if they make one of the bundled templates bad.
>>

> I though of this, my solution was that they can always export the custom
> template into subsurface template directory with the name they prefer and it
> will be automatically added to the list, Also it is possible to export the
> template anywhere then import it which will save it to the list.
>

>> editing in-place is the way to go, which means that if the user edits
>> "Six Dives.html" and presses "save" the actual "Six Dives.html" is
>> saved - this removes the need for Custom.html.
>> what do you think? sorry for the late change request, but hopefully
>> that won't break a lot of things.
>>

> I think this will make the user interface more intuitive, but we will not be
> able to handle overwriting the bundled templates (We can still show a
> warning message).

i agree, that it does become more intuitive as Custom.html is a bit confusing.

sometimes giving slightly more freedom to the user isn't that bad. if
they lose a bundled template they can always re-install the whole app
in the same folder.
...and to make a copy of a bundled template they can just Export in
the same folder with a new name e.g. MyNewTemplate.html.

let's do it with in-place editing and show the following warning if
any of the bundled templates is about to be saved by the user:
<Warning sign> (if possible)
"You are about to modify a template bundled with Subsurface. Do you
want to save your changes?"
<Save>, <Cancel>

For non-bundled templates:
"Do you want to save your changes?"
<Save>, <Cancel>

this should include "statistics/Default.html" and it will be nice to
be able to edit statistics templates as well.

lubomir