git merge - extra simple case appears to work

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Sat Aug 22 13:31:15 PDT 2015

Hey Linus,

I'd love if you could take a look. This appears to work for me in two
extra trivial test cases that I tried. I made two independent changes from
two different computers to a dive file that's stored in cloud storage (so
git backend on my server). One of the computers was off-line, so it only
stored changes locally, the other computer was on-line and pushed them to
the git server.

Then I put the other computer online and try to open cloud storage. IFF
there are no conflicts then the merge succeeds and I have a merged dive
file that looks correct to me.

Right now this can be found in

git://subsurface-divelog.org/gitMerge

It's just a single commit and the change seems very simple (and I talked a
bit to the folks on #libgit2 to get things right), but I'm not sure if
what I'm doing is the right thing, in the right spot, etc.

It would be nice to have someone who actually understands the git
infrastructure a bit better to take a look and either say "yeah, not
completely wrong" or "you're off your meds, dude, throw this shit away,
this is how you do it"...

Thanks