Cloud storage merge, baby steps

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Aug 25 14:43:50 PDT 2015

I just pushed quite a few commits that implement a brain damaged
implementation of git merge - including a few tests that simulated a
couple of very simple scenarios that are already supported.

What would really help right now are two things

a) code review. My code is wrong. I am absolute certain of that.

b) testing. This is easy. Two computers. Connect to cloud storage on both.
Make random changes here and there and randomly try to save them. Try to
break things. And if you do, please post steps to reproduce the breakage.

Oh, one caveat. So the test uses the ssrftest at hohndel.org account on the
cloud backend. I realize that that may not be ideal - multiple people
running make test at the same time could lead to fun situations. But I
couldn't come up with a different way to do this without requiring every
developer to sign up for a separate test account...

One thing you shouldn't do. Create merge scenarios with your real data.
Sure, you /should/ be able to get your current state back from git. But I
don't want to find out that it's possible to corrupt the git backend with
this and then have people be upset about their data being lost.

Daily builds (-1498) are up for Windows, Mac and Android and should be
ready soon for the support Linux versions.