Re. subsurface: FTBFS in experimental

Christoph Anton Mitterer calestyo at scientia.net
Tue Aug 25 17:10:06 PDT 2015

Hey.

How saddening to see such a nice program for divers being basically
destroyed by a stupid and arrogant upstream (and while some may
consider this impolite, I guess it's simply the truth).

Especially the assumption to know it better than the rest of the whole
opensource world and decades of proven philosophy and even claiming
that this would increase the "experience" for users is just weird.
Well apparently subsurface is now targeted towards Win/Mac[0] (no
binaries for Linux)... so the "experience" for FLOSS users will simply
be that there is no subsurface anymore.
And a "nice" side effect for those poor souls which actually bother to
use the upstream binaries or compile from sources is to have no code in
their system which evades the proper package management system and any
for of security support.. but maybe upstream donates it some windows
-like per-program-update-code o.O

>And the current model that
>distributions use when it comes to applications and the libraries that
>they depend on doesn't allow us to do so.
Probably everyone here is curious about some enlightenment how upstream
thinks software management should happen! Appstores? MSI installer
files? All statically linked?

I really regret nowadays to have spent time on debugging some data
corruption issues in subsurface logs (which were anyway never fully
fixed).

Anyway,.. thanks to the Debian maintainers for keeping it as long as
possible in the archives.

Have you considered to simply build without git support (I love git,
but using it as a backend here seemed just ugly and I always liked the
xml file much more) and disable marble?
Then it would be just libdivecomputer, and AFAIR nothing in Debian uses
the systemwide package (except subsurface).

Cheers,
Chris.

[0] And I really wonder which divers from that community are going to
use subsurface instead of the native dive logs... I know quite a number
of divers, both tec and recreational, and none from the non-FLOSS side
uses subsurface; great binary-installer-experience or not.